Saturday, October 22, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom


Today would have been Guppy's 69th birthday. We are hosting a birthday party for her tonight at our house. Is it weird to have a birthday party for your deceased mother? I don't care. Tonight we will gather to eat Savoy's pizza - they have sauerkraut pizza! - to drink wine, to eat birthday cake with pinoche icing (which is kind of yucky, I have to confess), and to play Bingo. I would trade it all for one more day with my mom.

She has missed so many things. Franny's birth, Duncan's birth, Eli and Brenna getting the wonderful news that they are expecting TWINS, Andy losing 100+ lbs, and all the normal day-to-day things that she loved to keep up with. I called her almost every day when she was alive just to chat and go over the events of the day. Things about her grandbabies, things about my job, things about just normal every day stuff. I still reach for the phone when I get in my car after work (I know! I know! It's a bad idea to talk and drive!). When will I lose the automatic reflex to call my mom when something happens?


I will post photos from the birthday party later. Mom, I miss you so much. I wish you were here with us.

No comments: