Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Not to get into the wearying counting thing again, but...

H is out of town, again. I am here by myself with the Roses, again. Night #2 out of 5! I guess 5 isn't that bad.

We actually did pretty well tonight - to Target for school supplies. Guess what? Rose #1 can read her own school supply list (obviously), and can also mostly fetch her own stuff off the list. So, I sent her off with her list and a pencil, and I helped Rose #2 get her kindergarten supplies.

Second grade school supplies are a little bit more serious than kindergarten supplies, and let me tell you that the whole exercise set us back some serious scratch. What do people who can't pay for school supplies do? I hope they build some extra into the quantities they ask us to buy to cover the kids whose families can't pay. I read an article about homeless students in the Minneapolis and St. Paul public school systems today, and it really hit me hard. Such a sad situation that has gotten much worse over time instead of better.

On a brighter note, we have lots of company over the next few nights. Aunt Boo and Baby Kate are coming over for dinner tomorrow night, and Aunt Heidi invited us for dinner on Friday night. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments: