Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Overheard at the Roses House Tonight

Scene:  Mother sweeping disgusting kitchen floor while children in dining room eating Scooby Doo Pushup treats.  Mother swiping away at mushed up green vegetable on floor, when children suddenly come up with a random line of questioning:

Rose #1 and #2:  "Mom, when you were in high school, were you a popular, a brainiac, or a jock?"

Me:  "WHAT?"

Rose #1 (exaggeratedly patient):  "Were you a popular, a brainiac, or a jock?"

Me:  "Do you know what a jock even is?"

Rose #1:  "Yes.  You told me it is someone who is good at sports and who KNOWS they are good at sports."

Me:  (Dumbfounded silence.  Never, ever told Rose #1 that, but now that I think about it, she is really quite right!)

Rose #1:  "Well, which were you?"

Me:  "I guess I was mostly a brainiac.  Does that surprise you?"

Rose #1:  "Yes, I thought you were a jock."

I have never, ever used any of these terms with my children.  I have no idea where they heard this.  I have been limiting their screen time, truly I have.  Except on the weekends they do not watch the channel which is the bane of my existence, Cartoon Network.  I wish I could honestly say that they watch only a few moments of Cartoon Network, but even I can tell that many of you (OK, all two of you) would know that is a lie.

Anyway, I'm sure there was a teaching moment in all of this, but for the life of me I couldn't come up with what it was.  Sigh.

1 comment:

Andy said...

There should be more choices than these three. Add in a floater and a wastoid. Can you let them know?

Thanks