Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Overheard lately Chez Roses

Rose #3: "Where is my Hannah Montana chapstick, Mommy?"  This from a child who approximately 6 months ago would not say a single word.  Not a word, I'm telling you - whenever we tried to coax her to talk, she would press her little lips together in a line and shake her head.  Now she's all - "Do you have any more money, Mommy?"  This child is TWO YEARS OLD.  I guess it is because she is the youngest of three that she knows of such worldly (and wordly) things!

Rose #2:  "If you eat something off the ground, will you die?  If you eat a chicken bone, will you die?  If you eat poison will you die?  I don't ever want to ___________ because I might die."  I don't know where Rose #2 picked up this recent fear of dying, but she is obsessed.  I try to be honest but put things in context - for example, by saying that if you eat something poison, you will probably only get sick, but that's why you should only eat food that a grownup that you know gives to you.  Argh.

By the way, we (by "we" I mean "I") almost had to have the birds and the bees discussion with Rose #2.  She asked me twice how mommies get pregnant with babies, and I stalled for time.  I fully intended to answer the question when I was a bit more prepared but then...she forgot!  (I know that if I was a good Unitarian parent I would voluntarily bring it up again but I just don't think I can handle that right now.  Lesson number one of being a lawyer, and apparently a parent concerned with sex education:  Answer the question you are being asked.)

Rose #1:  "I am going to trade Boba Fett at school tomorrow for two Star Wars legos guys."  

I don't have anything to add to that last one.  Other than perhaps to say that I can't understand why Star Wars is still soooooo popular.

No comments: