Sunday, November 16, 2008

Why I Missed Posting Yesterday and Weekend Musings

I took a Benadryl at about 6:30 p.m., and I was OUT.  Like a Light.  At 7:30 p.m.  This left H to put the Roses to bed by himself.  (Tee hee.  Perhaps I will start taking a Benadryl every night!)  I took a Benadryl because I ate something that caused the tastebuds on the BACK of my tongue to swell up.  A lot.  Anyway, that is probably TMI.  (Read on to learn what it was that I ate and the interesting back story.)

We had a fine weekend, especially after I got done working on Saturday.  I got home around 12:30 and organized everyone for a trip to the zoo with Aunt Heidi!  It was a good zoo day if a bit nippy.  We did the tropics trail first, then stopped for snack (where as Aunt Heidi observed each child had their own personal combination of chips, raisins, grapes, and crackers), then we went on the Minnesota trail, and then, to Discovery Bay.  Discovery Bay has a very, very fine tide pool.  Where periodically a huge wave appears cascading over rocks and causes foamy water to spread throughout the pool.  Which my beloved niece Beatrice could not help but stretch her hand and body out to touch, and - see if you can guess what happened.

I was sitting on a rock by this pool maybe, just maybe, about 7 feet from where Beatrice and the Roses were playing.  I warned them not to climb since they would not be happy if they fell in.  The starfish would also not be very happy!  I looked away, or was talking to Rose #3, or something, and I looked back just in time to see Beatrice slooshing into the water, face first, and her whole entire body was submerged in the tide pool.  She was not in there for more than about 2 seconds before I scooped her out.  She was shocked, of course, and wet and cold, but not in any real danger.  I don't know if she squished some marine life (I certainly hope not of course).  Anyway, I dispatched Rose #1 to find her Aunt Heidi (whom she summoned by saying "Aunt Heidi, we have a bit of an emergency") and asked the closest volunteer for a towel.

As it turns out, Beatrice was not the first child in the history of the zoo to fall into the tide pool.  They have a ready supply of towels for just this purpose.  They did ask us politely to leave the wet towel at Guest Services near the exit (which we did)!  Everyone was quite traumatized as we were leaving, so I got everyone a jumbo pretzel for the ride home.  I think it was one of the large granules of salt on the pretzel that made my tongue act so strangely.

Now you know why I did not post yesterday.  I am sorry because I was trying to post every day in November as part of NaBloPoMo.  I feel quite sad that I missed a single day.  But, on with the rest of the month.

No comments: